From the Boulder Daily Camera (John Aguilar):
An enthusiastic response Monday to the beginning of Colorado’s energy-efficient appliances rebate program spurred some complaints from Boulder County consumers who had trouble getting through on the state’s Web site and toll-free line to claim the popular rebate…
Todd Hartman, spokesman for the Governor’s Energy Office, said there had been “hiccups” throughout the day with spiking traffic on the state’s site — rechargecolorado.com — bogging it down since it opened for business at 8 a.m. But he said the site never crashed. Periodically throughout the day, the Governor’s Energy Office stripped its site of its usual content and dedicated it solely to the rebate program to expedite the flow of traffic, Hartman said.
The state’s program, dubbed Recharge Colorado, was created from federal economic stimulus money and aims to give Colorado $18 million in rebate funds, the bulk of which is earmarked for the larger-scale energy-efficiency projects like solar and wind installations. It is loosely modeled after the popular Cash for Clunkers automobile rebate program that ran last year, except that it doesn’t require that people trade in their old appliances. The most popular part of the program, which amounts to $4.5 million of the total Colorado received, is dedicated to the appliance rebates. Of that, 14,000 rebates worth $1.25 million were made available for the purchase of common household appliances — fridges, washing machines and dishwashers — that meet a certain energy-efficiency standard. Around 9,000 rebates worth $3.25 million cover energy-efficient boilers, hot-water tanks and furnaces. Hartman said about 8,500 rebates for all appliances were claimed by Monday evening, leaving around 14,000 rebates still available. He said the rebates would probably all be claimed by Wednesday. “They will go fast,” he said.
More conservation coverage here.