#Drought news: Extreme drought expands in southern #Colorado — The Kiowa County Press

From The Kiowa County Press (Chris Sorensen):

Just one week after extreme drought returned to Colorado, the impacted area has expanded in the southern portion of the state according to the United States Drought Monitor. The second worst category of drought had left the state in March 2019 before making its return this month.

In the southeast, extreme drought expanded into Crowley, Lincoln and Cheyenne counties, and increased its presence in Baca, Prowers and Kiowa counties.

For the southern Colorado mountain area, extreme conditions expanded in Saguache, Custer, Huerfano and Las Animas counties.

Severe drought expanded north in central and eastern Colorado, replacing moderate conditions. Moderate drought also gave way to abnormally dry conditions in parts of Pitkin, Chaffee and Gunnison counties.

Colorado Drought Monitor May 12, 2020.

Portions of eastern Colorado received an inch or more of rain early Saturday morning, potentially minimizing further expansion in the coming week.

Sixty-three percent of the state is in moderate, severe or extreme drought, up two percent from the previous week. The worst drought category, exceptional, was most recently recorded in Colorado in February 2019.

Currently, 15 percent of the state is in extreme drought, up four percent from the prior week. Severe drought increased two percent to 31, while moderate drought dropped four percent to 17. Abnormally dry conditions increased from 14 to 17 percent of the state. Just 21 percent of Colorado is drought-free.

One year ago, 11 percent of Colorado was abnormally dry, while the remaining 89 percent was drought-free.

West Drought Monitor May 12, 2020.

Leave a Reply